Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This may not mean a lot to you...


OracleInstalledSnapshot
Originally uploaded by ilanpillemer.
...but it means a great deal to me!

It shows that I have successfully installed an Oracle 10g database on a linux operating system.

I have been working on getting this running over the last couple of days. Now that I have done this I can start working on understanding the ins and outs of this latest version of the Oracle database so that in a few months time I can write the exam and upgrade my qualification from Oracle 9 OCP to Oracle 10 OCP as well.

And it is very important that I learn these skills on Linux. I have already built the basic Oracle skills in a Windows environment and it is now time that I develop the same skill and confidence in the more sophisticated environment of Linux. Since all the major database always run on a POSIX (or a mainframe which is similar) environment; only once I have mastered Oracle in this environment will I feel that I have Oracle DBA skills under my belt.

Finally, now that I have Oracle set up on Linux the basic steps are done; the spaceship has landed; and I can try do a little flying.

This makes me happy.

later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I happened upon this site and lo and behold it is you, my ex brother (so I liked to think). I have really been enjoying reading the usual Ilan rantings about everything, but note you are definitely a lot more positive about life....must be love. I can't believe you are married (and Rob, shew). Sandra looks so lovely!! What happened to the Ilan I knew, loved and spent countless lazy days and nights with watching movies, smoking cigs, contemplating life and such and dancing with till way into the next day...I can tell you're still you so fill me in on the last... quite a few years?! So good to see your smiley face beaming from the monitor. Love Melis

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera