Friday, January 13, 2006

Safe, sound and in Germany

(By the way, if you look again at my post called "Daisy... her voice was full of money" you will see I have added some links showing more about our short holiday in Dubai!)

The transfer to the airport from the hotel was smooth and easy. Once there the process went like clockwork. Change all my dirham into Euros, check in luggage, go through passport control, walk through duty free, buy a coffee, sit and drink coffee, go through the boarding gate, board the plane, take my shoes off, sit in chair, watch three movies, watch plane land, exit plane, go through passport control, go to baggage claim, go through customs and hey presto Doris and Walter and a coldish Germany.

Emirates is definitely has the most comfortable planes I have ever flown on in my life.

Germany is not as cold as I had the impression it would be. It feels no colder than the Drakensberg in Winter. Doris says the worst of the Winter is over already. I was tired and nodded off on the drive to the country home. Once here we all had a glass of champagne and then a good solid lunch of vegetables and chicken and rice and potatoes.

Our room is warm and very comfortable. A double bed and a tv!

I then took a nap for a few hours and woke a few minutes ago.

I am now drinking a nice warm cup of tea and feel very relaxed.

I think tomorrow we will go into Cologne to meet up with some of Sandra's friends; and tonight probably some conversation followed by a good night's sleep.

I still can't get over Dubai, in fact, the whole city felt a bit like one of Gatsby's parties (just without the alcohol!).

later...

No comments:

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera