Sunday, March 06, 2005

3% NaCl solution is more complicated than Nietszche

It also is isotonic to an onion cell. Well, that took me 3 hours on Saturday night to understand. It was important to Sandra from some reason.

I do now understand that the saline drip is 0.9% NaCl which is isotonic to blood. This is why this saline concentration is used when there is an intravenous drip stuck into my arm; (which has unfortunately been the case many times...). I now know that this is because distilled water is hypotonic to red blood cells and could cause them to explode or something; whilst a higher concentration of NaCl is hypertonic and would cause them to shrivel. I do find this more interesting than onion cells.

Unfortunately I did not get to go see the movie I wanted to see this weekend: Constantine. Hopefully, on Tuesday night I will.

I am half-way through my next assignment; which needs to completed before the beginning of the coming weekend if I keep to my tight schedule. Geez. I have not worked this consistently since first year university.

Sandra said something amusing this weekend.

She looked at me and said.

"Geez. This biology is difficult. I have never had any trouble understanding any university subject before... umm.. except for Nietzsche."

hmmm.

later...

No comments:

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera