Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Commendation Award

Wow. The last time I got an award was at the Knesset when I was awarded for going beyond the call of duty in the work I was doing with blind students at Hebrew University. I had to read to blind students; and one elderly blind woman in particular; in order to qualify for a scholarship towards my then studies at Hebrew University. I spent time visiting her, to read to her at home as well as many hours in the University libraries. I helped her understand the material and I enjoyed her company. She nominated me; and I received an award at the Knesset for this good work. I felt at the time I was just doing what was expected from any mensch.

Well today, whilst I was eating lunch an Important Person at the corporate I work for came rushing to find me and tell me I needed to be at the Achievement Awards ceremony. I quickly followed him, my little heart beating a little faster. I walked into the boardroom which was filled with Important People and people receiving accolades. There was a camera that flashed, a man reading out a long explanation why each award was being given, a general manager shaking hands and congratulating, samoosas, cold drinks, a CEO, applause and lots of smiles. I had a moment of recognition and the General Manager called me a "Whizz Kid" whilst looking at me in the eyes, and said that I must keep up my good work. There were a dozen or so people receiving awards for all manner of successes. Everybody was in a good place.

(I was given a Commendation Award for improving my skills in Oracle database administration and development far beyond what was expected from me by the business. Although I felt I was just doing what I expected from myself.)

So, today I got an award for improving myself ( and I guess for being myself... ). It was not the knesset, but it still made me smile. Its always nice to get a pat on the back and a little nachas.

No comments:

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera