Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Other people have thoughts too...

Everyday when I drive to work I am surrounded by many cars filled with people, thinking people thoughts. When I go to town, or to a popular beach, or to a shopping center - there are many many people walking past me. But of these thousands and thousands of people that pass me by every week I hardly ever to speak to anyone (apart from the woman selling ice-creams or the petrol attendant.) But all these people are constantly thinking private thoughts. Entire universes of delights and worries and joys and heart-aches and trivialities and dreams and plans. But most of the time I do not see universes, I just see a blur of alienation. Simon Hoegsberg created an art project to try and pierce this alienation that exists between us in our society and stopped randomn people on the streets in New York and in Denmark, took a portrait photograph and then asked them what were the most recent thoughts that have passed through their minds. He recorded each thought monolgue verbatim. With these photographs and monologues he has created a very beautiful art project that he has called THE THOUGHT PROJECT. I found it lifted me out of the alienation of capitalistic society for a moment to see the open ( but hidden ) doorways into the other.

No comments:

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera