Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Pirelli Relativity Challenge

I am not a Flash programmer in any way; which is a pity since I found this competition for 25 000 Euros for a 5 minutes Flash creation. You also would also have to have a pretty good understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity; but Sandra is studying physics this year and I could have got her to explain it to me. But with all the studying I am doing towards my computer science degree, my full-time job, and Sandra's chores for me - there is no way I have the time to learn Flash. And then I would also have to learn how to draw the kind of graphics necessary for this kind of thing. I am studying a third year course in computer graphics. But this is a very theoretical course and it appears much more based on much lower level stuff (such as the API itself) than what would be studied in a multi-media school. Warwick does that stuff so I informed him of this competition. He then showed me this amazing Flash website. Wow.... some of the Flash graphics on this site are stupendous in both their beauty and their artistry. Perhaps, Harry's associate was right when he thought Harry should recode his secret internet thinking graphs from Java into Flash. I can not tell you any more about that, since Adam says its secret and made me swear an email oath to secrecy.

2 comments:

sheikh X said...

oh come on ilan! you can learn flash. it'll be a cinch to learn flash. if anybody can learn flash overnight, you can learn flash overnight. and think of the benefits... winning 25k euros... recoding coma... i think you should grab the bull by its pixels and go for it.

Ilan Pillemer said...

I suppose a bigger problem is that I do not own a copy of Flash
either. I would have to find an illegal copy as I doubt I could afford
it. I suppose if I win (which is a small small infintismally small
possibility) I could license my copy with part of winnings; and if I
lose there is not much point in suing me as I have not made any
profits unfairly - all that I could get is a shouting at... hmmmm.

I will start looking for a copy.

And what about you? You are skilled enough to write in Java; you also
could learn Flash damn quickly if you were motivated?

...

.. It's in words that the magic is -- Abracadabra, Open Sesame, and the rest -- but the magic words in one story aren't magical in the next. The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; the trick is to learn the trick. ... And those words are made from the letters of our alphabet: a couple-dozen squiggles we can draw with the pen. This is the key! And the treasure, too, if we can only get our hands on it! It's as if - as if the key to the treasure is the treasure! ------- John Barth, Chimera